Cross gcc Mailing List Archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: build gcc as a cross-compiler with a cross-compiler

| Hi,
|
| I'm trying to build gcc as a cross-compiler, with a cross-compiler (the
| actual context follows the message), and I have some problems with the
| compilation of 'gen<thing>' in gcc which must not be compiled with the
| cross-compiler, but with the native one.
| I believe there must be a mean to do that without breaking the
| makefiles.
|
| Any hint to help me?

Inside of Cygnus, we call what you want to do a Canadian Cross (at the
time the term was coined, Canada had three major political parties,
and in building it, you have 3 systems, the target system, the host
system the compiler will run on, and the host system you are building
on).  If for instance, I wanted to build a cross compiler for a
powerpc-eabi compiler that ran under the Cygnus windows NT environment
cygwin32, but compile it on a Linux system, I would configure the
compiler as:

	<srcdir>/configure --target=powerpc-eabi \
		--host=i586-cygwin32 \
		--build=i586-linux

Then you make it via:

	make CC=<cross-compiler> HOST_CC=gcc

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA