Cross gcc Mailing List Archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

SUMMARY: ident problems using gnu tools

I has asked a question about getting .ident ( #ident in the C code ) into
the object files using GCC, GAS and the GNU linker. This works fine if I
use the native assembler and linker for SunOS.

It turns out that the assembler doesn't support .ident for the target I was
building for. It was suggested that it would be fairly easy to add but I
don't have the time to do it.

What I did was change gcc to output .ascii strings instead of .ident. I can
still tell gcc not to add them by using -fno-ident. This helps when space
is tight or we just plain don't want anyone to know what is in there.

This does work, the assembler and linker simply copy the string to the object
file and everything seems to work fine. Other than the fact that this isn't
the "right" way to do this are there any other problems that are going to
come back to haunt me? Any idea when a new version of binutils is due out?

Thanks to everyone for the great advice!

	Rich Casselberry

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index