Re: Adding MANY players at once

GRAEME SMITH                         email: grysmith@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
2536 138A ave Edmonton

On Sun, 28 Jan 1996, PILOSOF AVI wrote:

> The moo we are setting up here will be such that people login from a VMS
> based system. When they choose the MOO menu item, they will be automagically
> logged in using their login name and some auto-generated password.

for my NewCore Mod0, I developed a verb called pad, that creates an arbitrary
number of a specific type of object. The idea was to Zone the MOO so that
all the player objects would be in the same place, so I could develop special
buffers for moving Modules in and out, etc. It's not terribly difficult to
write such a verb. My suggestion, is, do a pad of characters. Then set up a
verb that gives each one a name from an authorized character list, and sets
up the arbitrary password, and finally mails the person their
character/passwd.

To get the list in, use your front end, to put it into a property, through
something like the edit command.

IF you think you are going to want to do it again, then automate it with
a third verb, and you can have a pattern like this:

1. Enter List into property
2. invoke Pad/Passwd/Mail command
3. check Objects for accuracy

> The problem is that we need to add these users in the first place, and we're
> talking about several hundred to begin with.
>
> I have the list of users, formatted however I want, etc, etc, etc.
>
> The original thought was to write a unix shell script to telnet to the moo
> host for each name, and send a "create <name> <pass>" to the host. However,
> I can't think of a way to do this, since once telnet starts, I doubt I can
> send a string to its port from the unix shell.

I still haven't figured out how to do this via a shell script either.

> I'd welcome any suggestions. Assume I have UNIX, WinNT, and VMS at my
> disposal.
>
> While I'm here, let me ask this:
>
> Why does this command:
>
> ;ctime( $time_utils:from_ctime(ctime()) )
>
> Return this:
>
> "Tue Jan 30 03:05:08 1996 EST"
>
> When the date is actually (as returned by ctime):
>
> "Mon Jan 29 11:05:08 1996 EST"
>
> ?????
>
> Avi

16 hrs does seem a bit excessive as an error.

				Grey