Cross gcc Mailing List Archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: identify compilers

| Looking at the gcc 2.7.2 code and info file, I see:
| (under m88k)
| - -midentify-revision'
|      Include an `ident' directive in the assembler output recording the
|      source file name, compiler name and version, timestamp, and
|      compilation flags used.
|
| I haven't used this, but I had somethin in mind  which would make
| the object file with the compiler and the options.
|
| Why is this only in the m88k port...it seems far more general...
|
| I suppose all assembler files have a way to comment something...it
| seems it should be pretty generic.

The 2.8 compiler (whenever it ships) will put in identification
information into asm comments (if the machine description says how to
form comments).  For example, the powerpc-eabi compiler emits:

 # GNU C version cygnus-2.7.2-960906 (powerpc-eabisim) compiled by GNU C version 2.7.2.
 # options passed:
 # options enabled:  -fpeephole -ffunction-cse -fkeep-static-consts
 # -fpcc-struct-return -fcommon -fverbose-asm -fgnu-linker -mpowerpc
 # -mnew-mnemonics -msdata -meabi -mcall-sysv -msdata=data

Note, this is only a comment, and won't be embedded in the object
file.  As to why its in the m88k port, as I recall one of the groups
within DG wanted it and I put it in.

--
Michael Meissner, Cygnus Support (East Coast)
4th floor, 955 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139, USA

Home | Subject Index | Thread Index