mgetty and SunOS 4.1.1: cannot get TIO

Earl Hartwig (earl@fozzi.ocunix.on.ca)
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 13:43:52 +0100

Gert Doering wrote on Thu 24Mar94 13:06 (-0500):
> Frank Bartels wrote:
> > I'm successfully using mgetty on my Sun 3 with SunOS 4.1.1. I compiled
> > There ist still a little problem. Nearly everytime an interactive user
> > logs out, I get the following in my logfile. It does not happen if I
> [..]
> > 03/19 20:47:50  check for lockfiles
> > 03/19 20:47:50  locking the line
> > 03/19 20:47:50  lowering DTR to reset Modem
> > 03/19 20:47:54  tcsetattr failed: No such device or address
> > 03/19 20:47:54  tcgetattr failed: No such device or address
> > 03/19 20:47:54  cannot get TIO: No such device or address
>
> Strange. Sounds like a race condition or what with /etc/init calling
> vhangup() or so. SunOS experts: likely? What to do against it?

I have noticed the above log messages *only* when an interactive user
creates another shell such as with 'su'.
Almost as if mgetty fd is closed by the new shell.
Anyone have any comments?

> > I get the message 'mgetty fatal: cannot get TIO' on the console.
>
> Sure, that's the error above - it's considered fatal enough (it absolutely
> prevents mgetty from working) to notify the operator. I did not think that
> there would be a system where this happens every now and then...

Never seen this message on my console.
However it is possible that my /etc/syslog.conf discards it.

--
Earl Hartwig   earl@fozzi.ocunix.on.ca	 (613)729-4077 voice
Smile, people will think you are up to something.  (calvin & hobbes)