interesting behavior/problem

Brent Mosbrook (brentm@zyxel.com)
Fri, 25 Mar 1994 00:41:04 +0100

On Thu, 24 Mar 1994, Gert Doering wrote:

> David Vrona wrote:
> > I recently got a call from a user that reported that the dialup lines kept
> > ringing with no answer.  I checked the situation and found that the first 4
> > lines were being used by inbound calls but the 5th line wasn't answering the
> > phone.  It just kept ringing.....
>
> That's what Harald Milz, Klaus Lichtenwalder and I were referring to as
> "modem lockups"... happens once in a while - with 6.11a, maybe once in a
> month.

We have solved the problem with the modems "locking up".  The other issue
that was reported was affecting only folks with the E model (w/ 6.11a
roms), in that they could not send a fax to most sites.  The problem has to
do with timing/sensitivity of the fax handshake, and we are unable to
reproduce the problem in-house.. it apparently is dependent upon the RX
level.

If anyone has the capability to burn their own roms, I will make versions
of the beta roms available via FTP.  please email with your modem info,
and problems experienced.

NOTE: the fax related problems are confined to sending.. receiving is
apparently unaffected.  Customers who were unable to send have sent their
modems back, and they test out fine in the lab..

BTW: The release of this rom should be sometime next week.  If you can't
burn your own roms, I would prefer that you wait until the release is out,
and we can go through normal channels to send out the update (no charge).

Brent Mosbrook                                brentm@zyxel.com
Technical Support                           voice - 714-693-0808
ZyXEL                                       BBS -   714-693-0762
FTP - ftp.sdsc.edu   /pub/other/zyxel       Fax -   714-693-8811