How to handle incompatible modems?

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Tue, 8 Mar 1994 23:49:46 +0100

Hi,

Klaus Weidner wrote:
> > > It would be elegant if a new function, identify_modem(),
> > > could reliably detect the modem type and initialize the
[..]
> > Well, note the word "reliably". I don't think that it is possibly. Detect
>
> It should be possible to handle the set of voice-capable modems
> and only call the identify_modem() function from vgetty, that way
> there shouldn't be too many problems. Fax/Data modems are much
> more diverse, they will probably have to wait.

OK, I agree here. Voice functions seem to be easily distinguishable by
trying "AT+FCLASS=8", "AT#CLS=8" and (whatever Russel's modem uses) and
see what works.

(That's how I find out whether the modem supports fax polling - if
AT+FSPL=1 or AT+LPL=1 returns ERROR, the function is disabled)

gert

--
Ok, Ihr habt gewonnen, hier ist eine neue signature...

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-3243328                         gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de