faxspool(1) / faxqueue(5): please comment (fwd)

Uwe Fuerst (argus@ganymed.phiger.com)
Mon, 7 Mar 1994 22:27:36 +0100

Gert Doering wrote:

> Basically I thought of changing the format to
>
> alias:phone:verbose_to
> 	    ^^^^^^^^^^ as if specified with "-D <verbose_to>".
>
> - but you're right, TABs have their advantages. Should be easy, though.
> I'm just not sure what to do with the "verbose_to" extention - what about
>
> alias<whitespace>phone<whitespace>verbose_to
>
> - easy, except the fact that "verbose_to" may contain whitespace itself
> ("uwe<tab>099013692<tab>Uwe S. Fuerst").

If you use the "alias<whitespace>phone<whitespace>verbose_to" form you could
easily parse the file with awk. alias=$1, phone=$2 and verbose_to=<the_rest>.

> > >        Access control is handled similar  to  the  way  "crontab"
> > >        does it:
> [..]
> > What happens if both files are there?
>
> In faxspool, fax.allow has precedence, and that's how I understood the
> crontab manpage.

That's right. I just checked my "crontab" man page.

> > >        -M <file name> -- Multicasting
> >
> > What format does this file have? Each number in a single line?
>
> I thought of
>
> phone/alias[<whitespace>verbose_to]

Sounds good...

> > >        When  a  job cannot be sent in five tries, the JOB file is
> > >        renamed to JOB.suspended.  To re-queue  this  job,  rename
> > >        the JOB file back and remove all the "Status" lines in it.
> >
> > This could be done by a yet to be written script faxreq(1) :-)
>
> I include the code line to do it in the mail - so you can just cut'n paste
> the command to another window and execute it there... ;-)

That's perfectly ok with me, but think of the poor console users, too.
They usually don't have any cut'n paste facilitiy :-)

Uwe
--
Uwe S. ___ # uf@phiger.com            Just my $0.02 (thanks for the bandwidth).
Fuerst <|> # "Ever since DOS Merge became available, Unix became susceptible to