modem crashes, WAS Re: Black List... is hanging ZyXEL now

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Sun, 6 Mar 1994 15:51:49 +0100

Hi,

Chris Lewis wrote:
> } Sounds reasonable. I had a modem crash yesterday and it
> } showed that a dialin user having logged in around noon
> } had dropped the line without properly exiting the shell
> } (no `exit' command in the .bash_history file). `last'
> } showed him "still logged in" in the evening.
[..]
> In your case, I'd suspect you didn't have HUPCL on, CLOCAL was on or
> something like that.  If CLOCAL is on, a carrier drop won't be noticed
> by the computer.

Sounds like a "bash"... some versions of bash are known to set CLOCAL all
the time, even if you unset it (stty -clocal) the bash will activate it
again as soon as it displays the next prompt :-(

gert

--
Ok, Ihr habt gewonnen, hier ist eine neue signature...

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-3243328                         gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de