Any hope for class 1?

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Fri, 4 Mar 1994 11:10:10 +0100

Hi,

Russell Nelson wrote:
> I'm looking at the data sheet for a Cirrus Logic MD9624 modem.  It is
> a 2400 baud modem, 9600 baud class 1 fax, and voice digitizing modem.
> Boca implements it on their Multimedia Modem.  The 2400 baud modem is
> pretty vanilla.  I'm currently deciphering the voice commands.  The

If you find out anything, I'd be interested to hear about it.

> modem has a 32Kbyte buffer and a 16550AFN UART.  But, to my question:
>
> 	Is there any hope for driving a class 1 FAX modem under Unix?

Little. FlexFax can do it, but the README is full of warnings about timing
problems under nearly all Unix brands. SGI seems to be an exception
because they have something like "high priority seriall comm processes".
As far as I know, Class 1 timing is very difficult, and thus nearly
impossible in an multiuser / multitasking environment.

> You see, this modem costs $69 in the US.  Pretty cheap.

Damn good.

gert

--
Ok, Ihr habt gewonnen, hier ist eine neue signature...

Gert Doering - Munich, Germany                             gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-3243328                         gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de