mgetty voice/fax/data

Paul Miller (paul@3dillusion.com)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 20:56:39 +0100

On Fri, 27 Feb 1998, Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Paul Miller wrote:
> > <Please reply to paul@3dillusion.com>

> > > No way.
> >
> > Not even if I have an answer-chat command?
>
> No, because answer-chat is only called when the phone already RINGs, and
> that's precisely what you don't want to happen with +FAA=4.

What if I edit the code and recompile? I don't know how the modem tells
the software that the connection is data .. if it outputed "DATA" or
something, I think mgetty could be configured to wait for that ... it does
for "FAX" (I think)

> > Is there a work around?
>
> You could put mgetty to "data-only" mode, and add all the fax
> initialization to "init-chat".

Will mgetty automatically handle fax if the modem outputs "FAX"?

> > How do voice/data/fax modems work?
>
> They don't (at least not reliably).

with mgetty or in general? It seems that Silent Answer Plus is probably
fairly reliable because it checks for a certain tone - data callers need
to send "ATDT^#######" when dialing.. the hat makes the special tone.

> > > Should be done automatically. Just at "AT#CID=1 OK" to the end of your
> > > modem init sequence ("init-chat" in mgetty.config).
> >
> > hm.. If I tell mgetty to deny all numbers expect for a couple of know fax
> > numbers, it still always answers the phone. I don't think it is being
> > read.
>
> Logfile? Without logfile, it's impossible to give any comment...

Does it say 'reading dialin.config'? I tried using just "!all" in the
dialin.config file to ignore every call, but it still picked up the phone.
(I do have the ring count setup right, ATS0=0)

-Paul

.