mgetty voice/fax/data

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:21:42 +0100

Hi,

Paul Miller wrote:
> <Please reply to paul@3dillusion.com>
> On Thu, 26 Feb 1998, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > > Does mgetty support silent answer? And how can I
> > > send the +FAA=4 command to my modem instead of +FAA=1?
> >
> > No way.
>
> Not even if I have an answer-chat command?

No, because answer-chat is only called when the phone already RINGs, and
that's precisely what you don't want to happen with +FAA=4.

> Is there a work around?

You could put mgetty to "data-only" mode, and add all the fax
initialization to "init-chat".

> How do voice/data/fax modems work?

They don't (at least not reliably).

> > > Also, how do I tell mgetty to use caller id and look at
> > > the dialin.config file?
> >
> > Should be done automatically. Just at "AT#CID=1 OK" to the end of your
> > modem init sequence ("init-chat" in mgetty.config).
>
> hm.. If I tell mgetty to deny all numbers expect for a couple of know fax
> numbers, it still always answers the phone. I don't think it is being
> read.

Logfile? Without logfile, it's impossible to give any comment...

gert

           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025    gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de