problem with sending faxes with Sportster flash

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:46:15 +0100

Hi,

*PLEASE READ THE F*** MAILING LIST ARCHIVES*

I'm really sick of answering the same questions over and over again.
Especially since I answered this *just* yesterday night.

Anyway: there is "fax class 2.0" and "fax class 1". Fax class 2.0 is
demanding, and if the implementation is dumb, it won't work. Fax class 1
doesn't require any intelligence on the modem side, but very strict timing
on the computer side, which is why it doesn't work (well) under Linux.

Mgetty uses only class 2 or 2.0, which is completely broken in the
Sportster series (the USR Courier is fine). WinXX uses Class 1, which is
required for all the dumb Rockwell modems that do not have class 2 at all
anymore, and obviously the modem works in class 1 mode.

There will be support for class 1 in mgetty+sendfax, but don't hold your
breath waiting for it. And I can *definitely* promise you that it will
never be as stable as class 2(.0) support, as you have bad timing
restrictions that are nearly impossible on a highly loaded Unix machine.

gert

           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025    gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de