Monitoring modem statistics?

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 09:19:50 +0100

Hi,

Jonathan Benson wrote:
> I see in the mgetty.config file that there is something called
> 'statistics-chat'.
>
> Unfortuantely I have not been able to find ANY documentation on this
> feature anywhere?

see the sample mgetty.config that I ship.

> What I am trying to do is to get the output from an 'ati6/ati11'
> command/s on my modem either when a link is first established or ideally
> during the active life of the PPP link. If ANYONE knows how I might go
> about this PLEASE let me know.

That's not easily possible. You would have to go to modem command mode
(+++), issue ATI6, go back online, and hope that you did not disturb the
remote end -- forget it.

What you *can* do with "statistics-chat" is to get this information
immediately after the call, the moment mgetty restarts. It will init the
modem with "init-chat", then run "statistics-chat" and write the output
to "statistics-file /tmp/xyz".

gert

           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de