missing rows in faxes

Farzin Atefi (farzin@blitz.net)
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 00:22:46 +0100

Gert Doering wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Farzin Atefi wrote:
> > I used to get faxes with missing rows every now and then,
> > but since having switched to a new linux distribution
> > (RedHat 4.2) an kernel (2.0.32) this is happening all the
> > time. The faxes are unreadable because entire text lines are
> > missing.
> > I've both the logs (level 6) from the receiving and the
> > sending sides. I hope the logs are not too noisy.
>
> Which side did you change? Sending or receiving? Does it happen only in
> *this* combination, or for every fax that you *send* or for every fax that
> you *receive*?
>
> Please describe the problem a bit more detailed -- so far, we only know
> that you have *one* setup that gives problems, and you have changed
> "something" there (one side? both sides?).
>
> The basic problem (missing rows) sounds like a bad flow control problem on
> the sending side, but I'm not going to do the guesswork to narrow it down
> for you -- you're on the list long enough to know how to pinpoint a
> problem (then I'll happily help you fixing it).

Sorry for not being precise. I'm regarding the problem
from the receiving side. It just happens that I have
access to a remote machine with sendfax running, which
usually works fine sending out faxes, so I used it to
produce some logs. Indeed, there are at least two paper fax
machines from which I receive "garbled" faxes almost every
time.

So what problems can be there at the receiving side?

Unfortunately I just don't know where to start narrowing
down the problem. The serial device is configured correctly,
I presume (/dev/ttyS0 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A), the
modem is a ZyXEL, the load is very low, voice and data reception
work ok...
I thought there might be some problems with kernel 2.0.32 and/or
the vgetty from RedHat 4.2 known to the list. Otherwise I
can only check for a newer kernel (Is there a newer kernel?)
or compile vgetty myself, like I used to before switching to
RedHat.

> > 02/18 21:06:02 C12 read 64, write 64
>
> BTW: this looks like a Cyclades card. Are you sure you have the very
> latest drivers? There have been bad bugs in early driver versions.

Yes, it is a Cyclades card. The drivers used are part of the
normal kernel distribution. Are there any other drivers one
can/should use?

This is off topic but I do experience ppp-connections to
this machine sometimes "hang" for a few seconds. Any hints?

Cheers,
Farizn

--
Farzin Atefi
Riegelhofgasse 6, 96049 Bamberg, GERMANY