K56 Flex + Class 2 fax

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 10:10:28 +0100

Hi,

Robert J. Brown wrote:

>  James> My warning to the list: It looks like K56 Flex + Class 2 is
>  James> just not available (at least with Rockwell chipsets).
>
>  James> My question to the list: Can anybody prove me wrong?
>  James> Please!
>
> When I was looking last fall, I picked the Hayes Accura external as my
> first choice because it was 56KFlex and fax class-2, but I just
> checked the Hayes web page, and they have changed it to say fax
> class-1, so I guess our only hope is to wait for a firmware upgrade
> from Zyxel. :-/

I'd just forget about K56flex, it doesn't work reliably anyway. Stay with
V.34 for the time being, and then go to V.PCM (V.90) the moment USR has it
implemented...

The ITU has finalized the first draft of V.90 last week (or so), so we
should see the first modems based on it in a month, maybe. The standard
is expected to be released in September, but many think that the technical
details won't change very much until then.

gert

           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de
fax: +49-89-35655025    gert.doering@physik.tu-muenchen.de