mgetty and a DEC VT320

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 23:05:30 +0100

Hi,

Ruediger Back wrote:
> On Sat, February 14 1998, Gert Doering wrote:
>
> > This is qmail's wording for "your SMTP sender is *BROKEN*".
>
> I'd rather think that qmail is broken... but that does not have to do
> with mgetty anyway.

Uh, no. sendmail violates the relevant RFCs, which can lead to loss of
e-mail, or in-transit corruption of data. (It *can*, it doesn't *have
to*). Instead of being compatible, and risking data loss, qmail refuses
this on purpose, to force people to fix their setup.

> > > /usr/local/sbin/getty ttyS0 -x 9 -r VT320 vt320-k311
>
> sorry, I just copied this line from the getty setup without
> reconfirming whether mgetty takes it terminal type or gettydef from
> the commandline: it does not. I don't understand however, why mgetty
> should not be compiled with gettydefs.. Why are they in there then ?
> Or is this just a temporary feature ?

Well, gettydefs are supposed to be there for completeness -- but I've
received reports that they do not work under Linux, and I had no time (and
I'm not very interested either) to find the bugs and fix them.

[..]
> > continue the moment your serial port receives a DCD signal (for example,
> > because you have switched the terminal to ON -- assuming a reasonable
> > cable, wiring terminal's DTR output signal to the PC's "DCD" input).
> >
> > > I also tried with toggle-dtr. All to no avail.
> >
> > Try without "blocking". Just use "mgetty -r" (do not call it as
> > "getty").
> >
> Tried that and encountered the problem described in the manual,
> e.g. login hangs. But the cable I'm using was bought in the firm
> belief to be a true null-modem cable... SLIP/PPP and other stuff like
> getty worked without problems. It is 25 to 9 pin RS 232
> though, as I only have a 9pin serial port on my Laptop.. but that
> should not matter, should it ?

Terminals are "weird" beasts... connect a RS232 tester to your serial port
(or use mgetty's "ltest", like in "ltest -i 1 /dev/ttyS1", sources can be
found in mgetty 1.1.x in tools/ltest.c), and *see* how the DCD signal
looks like.

Maybe it's the cabling, maybe it's the terminal itself. Play with it.
Maybe wire DTR to DCD locally. (Will help -- but that's a "last resort"
fix).

> > $ stty crtscts
> But this only works if the terminal bothers about the RTS/CTS lines.

Definitely.

gert
           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de