USR Sportster Voice 33.6 problems...

Marc Eberhard (marc@athene.thphy.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Thu, 12 Feb 1998 07:30:43 +0100

Hi!

Mario Becroft wrote:
> I have a USR Sportster Voice 33.6 Fax modem which I'm trying to use with
> mgetty and vgetty.
>
> Below is quite a long list of queries about some problems I'm having and a
> few things I'm not sure about.
>
> It seems to work ok for fax and data, but I'm having some problems getting
> the voice side of things to work. I had to modify the detect.c to
> understand the 3362 code returned by this modem, before it would work at
> all.

The latest release has this code already added.

> Using vm, I was then able to record files using the modem's internal
> microphone and speaker and, after adding support for external speaker to
> vm, I could also play them back via the external speaker.

Can you mail me the patch for this?

> However I can't get it working with the external handset. I plugged a
> telephone into the telephone socket, but using vm -H reports that the
> handset option is unavailable. After looking at the USR source, I realised
> that the -m (external microphone option) actually accesses the handset on
> the USR modem. But when recording with this option, I can hear the dial
> tone on the handset stop as though the modem is using the handset, but
> nothing actually gets recorded. And I can't figure out at all how to play
> back using the external handset.

This is complicated, because it depends on how the manufacturer of
your modem wired all those relays inside of your modem. If you have
some docs, please check the codes used to set the output device.
Maybe there is some wrong or missing code.

> Also, I'm having some problems with the pvf tools. Converting from GSM
> format results in an error about unknown format. Converting ADPCM to AU or
> BASIC results in a horribly distorted file, but strangely, converting it
> back again results in a normal sounding ADPCM file. Converting a normal AU
> or BASIC file to ADPCM results in the same horrible distortion. What is
> going on here? Is it just me or is this a known problem?

The GSM problem should hopefully be fixed by changing the GSM_MAGIC
to 0. I remember, that the author of the converter wrote me about
some problems with the ADPCM converter. Something seems to be wrong.
Maybe someone can try to figure out what it is?

> There also seems to be a problem in while configuring the modem for the
> silence detection. The modem returns ERROR, although everything still
> seems to work ok. Here's part of the vm.log file:
>
> 02/01 20:53:08 detecting voice modem type
> 02/01 20:53:10 vm: AT#VSD=1#VSS=1#VSP=70
> 02/01 20:53:10 US Robotics: AT#VSD=1#VSS=1#VSP=70
> 02/01 20:53:10 US Robotics: ERROR
> 02/01 20:53:10 vm: Modem returned ERROR: OK
> 02/01 20:53:10 setting recording preferences didn't work

Vgetty will ignore this error, but it would be interesting, if you
could split the command into three single commands and see, which one
causes the problem.

> Lastly, how do I set the record and playback levels? I could not see any

voice.conf: receive_gain and transmit_gain. But not all hardware
modem drivers support setting this value.

> vm commandline options for this, and even the gain options in voice.conf
> had apparently no effect. I notice in the USR voice modem documentation
> that the #VGR and #VGT (speaker and microphone gains controls) are
> supposed to work only in speakerphone mode. Does this mean the levels
> cannot be set on the USR modem? What about the S46 register, does the
> vgetty support setting this?

These values are set in the initialization of the modem. Maybe the
right command is just missing. Since I don't have such a modem, I
don't know, what it supports.

> Any assistance would be much appreciated.

I'll try my best.

Bye,
Marc
Email: Marc.Eberhard@Poseidon.ThPhy.Uni-Duesseldorf.DE