Mgetty timeout on fax commands

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 14:53:29 +0100

Hi,

Erik Corry wrote:
> Due to an incorrect modem init string and a poorly programmed
> modem I had a problem where the modem would sometimes hang and
> not respond. The log looked like this:
>
> --
> 02/09 22:06:49 yS1 mgetty: experimental test release 1.1.9-Aug17
> 02/09 22:06:49 yS1 check for lockfiles
> 02/09 22:06:49 yS1 locking the line
> 02/09 22:06:50 yS1 WARNING: DCD line still active, check modem settings (AT&Dx)
> 02/09 22:06:50 yS1 lowering DTR to reset Modem
> 02/09 22:06:50 yS1 send: ATM0[0d]
> 02/09 22:06:50 yS1 mdm_send: 'AT+FCLASS=2'
> 02/09 22:07:00 yS1 Warning: got alarm signal!
>
> At that point there would be no response, and mgetty would hang
> for up to several days. It seems to me there should be a timeout
> there. Perhaps there is, as you see I don't have the absolute
> newest version (though it is the version in Red Hat 5 I think).

The problem is that the version shipped with RedHat 5 is completely
broken in regard to timeout handling (signal handling changed in
GNU libc 2, and that broke mgetty).

I have *told* the RedHat people about it, and they have put a fixed
version in the "devel" tree of their FTP server -- but for some
strange reason, they didn't put it into the "errata" section where it
definitely belongs.

gert
           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de