A question on blank pages when faxing.

Gert Doering (gert@greenie.muc.de)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 09:44:03 +0100

Hi,

sorry for not responding more quickly. No time.

Tom Diehl wrote:
> When faxing with sendfax (using faxspool to convert and spool the faxes)
> I keep getting an extra blank page. The files are postscript. They print out
> ok using ghostscript and my printer. I seem to remember this being documented
> some where but I am unable to find it. Anyone know what is doing this
> or how to fix it? If it matters I am using 1.1.12.

Hmmm. Please check whether it's actually creating the blank page in the
.../spool/fax/outgoing directory. If yes, there is a problem in creation
of the postscript files or in the ghostscript installation.

If not, but the page is created "on-the-fly", it might be a problem with
the G3 page length -- the file being something like "A4 + 1/10 inch" long,
and the other end being a plain-paper fax machine that can't print
arbitrarily long pages, thus starting a new page for every overly long
page on the sender's side.

There is a tool called "g3hack" in the contrib/ directory which removes
whitespace from the top and the bottom of G3 pages. You might want to
try post-processing the G3 files that faxspool created with it, to remove
the extra blank space at the bottom.

gert
           //www.muc.de/~gert/
Gert Doering - Munich, Germany      gert@greenie.muc.de