G3 Viewer for Windows

Luigi Rizzo (luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it)
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 05:36:50 +0100

> On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Sebastian Fritsch wrote:
>
> > another question, is there a Windows program available that supports
> > viewing G3 files?
>
> I haven't seen one yet. I usually convert them to multi-page tiff's with

just wondering... would it be very hard to port viewfax to windows ?
because these approaches look rather slow... and viewfax is very fast
and convenient to use.

Alternative: I have a program called g3.c at

	http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/g3.c

which converts a single page to .gif (with optional x2 scaling and
dithering) so you can view it using your favourite browser. g3 is very
very fast, and consumes little memory.

(it can also translate a multi-page into postscript, so you can use it
as a print filter... again much faster than other pbm-based approaches.)

Haven't tried to compile it under windows but being command-line based
it should not be that hard...

	cheers
	luigi
Luigi Rizzo   | Dip. di Ingegneria dell'Informazione
email: luigi@iet.unipi.it | Universita' di Pisa
tel: +39-50-568533   | via Diotisalvi 2, 56126 PISA (Italy)
fax: +39-50-568522   | http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/
.