Re: MOO starting up without a port

> Now that MOO has MPL builtin, I think it should be possible to let
> the MOO start up without binding any port.  This way it could let
> $server_started() figure out what ports to bind--let the database
> handle everything.

Possibly dangerous and for what reason? If server_started fails for some
reason before binding a port you lose, painfully.

Nothing stops you from binding some obscure port to begin with and then
rebinding later, as described in the changelog.

> What does everybody out there think about these ideas?  Should
> $user_connected() be called before the MOO shuts down or when it starts
> up again?

Since you might be starting up on a normal checkpoint (in case of
lossage) it has to be done at startup.

Marc                                       http://www.got.net/marc
marc@got.net                               Finger for PGP key and Geek Code